I was having a crisis today. Well, actually, I’m still kind of having
it. But, thanks to my Awesome Aunt in
Ohio, I’m working through it. It’s
actually a case of my anxiety turbine engine spinning into hyperdrive, so that
I get closer and closer to a freak-out meltdown. And it was really over something so small,
but it clearly links to patterns learned and internalized in my childhood
(insight thanks to Awesome Aunt).
So, my Takoma Park Goddess friend asked on her single mom
listserv how many of us wanted to go salsa dancing tonight. Since I have the kids, I told her no, but
then I decided to go anyway because I feel like I’ve been neglecting my
girlfriend building. Later, when I spoke to RFG, I had to tell him that I
couldn’t see him – not that we had anything planned -- because I was going
dancing with Takoma Park Goddess. He was
okay about it, and immediately started thinking of making other plans. The
situation triggered my anxiety, and I began to freak out a little. I said to him that maybe I should spend time
with him anyway, and I asked him if he wanted to come over later. He said he was already thinking of calling
his buddies, and we should touch base later.
As a second step to my freak-out, I began to blame myself. My thoughts went kind of like this – Oh my
God, I’ve rejected him, and he’s going to reject me, and it will be all my
fault. Now I miss him, I miss him so
much, and he won’t commit to seeing my today or tomorrow (when he has a date
with his golf buddies, which will last well into the evening). We left it that we would check in with each
other later.
In all honestly, I’m feeling a little nervous about
meeting Takoma Park Goddess at a place I’ve never been before, where they’re
just starting a salsa evening (tonight is the first night), and I’m not sure
what the crowd is like. I hope my friend
arrives before me. But my main thing is
that I have this horrible sinking feeling – one that’s 99.9% not based in reality – that I’ve messed up irreparably, and it’s all my fault. And I’ll be abandoned, and I’ll deserve it,
and I’ll never find anyone, and I’ll be alone for the rest of my life, because it will never work out, and that’s what I
deserve. So – whew! – the anxiety
turbines are whirling at top speed, and their high-pitched whine is blotting
everything else out. And it really has very little to do with the guy in
question.
But, luckily, I was able to reach out to my Awesome Aunt,
and – knowing my family history – we talked about how excluded I felt in my
family of origin, and how we all walked on eggshells around my dad, how I was
subconsciously blamed for others’ feelings, and about how my anxiety was a
rational response to protect myself by anticipating how my dad would feel. It led me to develop beliefs about how I’m
supposed to be responsible for others’ feelings and actions, and how having my
own wishes and desires is asking for too much and imposing on others, and it will
only lead to a downfall that I will deserve.
Pretty intense stuff. None of
this was ever stated, but I certainly felt it and continue to feel it.
But my aunt counseled me that when these anxious thoughts
rise up, I can envision an off-ramp from them.
I can envision myself speeding along mindlessly on a well-traveled
superhighway, as I’ve done countless, countless times before. And I can picture myself jerking the car out
of the well-worn ruts and selecting an exit.
I can picture a different route, one that offers calming and affirming
sights, a route that is somewhat slower and requires more intent on my part. Thinking about the route can give me a good
feeling and empower me, and it can be grounded in thoughts about good things
like Fire Island and salsa dancing.
By doing this, I can release patterns that no longer serve
me. And I can realize that, in all
truth, what I’m doing tonight is no different from RFG’s numerous golfing
evenings.
And now, post-weekend, I can look back and see that I did
have a good time on Friday night (although there really weren’t many people
there who actually knew how to salsa dance), and that I ended up seeing RFG on
Saturday night after the kids were asleep.
I still have some issues with how things are going between RFG and me,
but that’s fodder for another posting.
The main challenge for me here is to identify and let go
of unhealthy childhood patterns. And to wonder how they got entrenched in the
first place. I mean, what the hell? Thinking about how Awesome Aunt pointed out
my strengths and how I’m a catch to many people, I need to ask myself, why on
earth do I feel like such crap over how I was treated more than 40 years
ago? Why do I deserve that? I don’t think that any of my friends would
deserve that, and I should view myself in the same way I view my friends,
right? So, I can remove myself from this
high-intensity, high-speed, high-pitched spinning. I can find an off-ramp and move away from the
unhealthy spinning with its toxic products (and just slow down…). I can envision a new healthy place where I
can take reality day by day, in a positive empowered way.


No comments:
Post a Comment